My Dance with the Moon: A Short Story

A few nights ago, I prayed for a sign. It was dark in my room and I fell asleep, wishing for some sort of guidance about what my next steps should be. A day went by, and nothing. Another day went by, and I almost forgot about my prayer. 
But I am always reminded of my situation.
The next day, I went to dinner with my cast for the first time. We conversed joyfully; we ate and had some drinks. We smiled, laughed, and told stories. There were over twenty women at that table; it was a beautiful moment. I left inspired and excited about the production, hope bubbling up in my veins.
On my drive home, I noticed a very, very bright light. I was one of the only cars on the interstate, and my lights are very dim. It was also late. I couldn't see where it was coming from at first glance because Louisiana trees are very tall. When there was a patch of land with no trees, I was overtaken suddenly by the most breathtaking full moon. She was bright, voluptuous, and beautiful. It was the kind of moon that makes you believe in fairy tales. 
I nearly lost sight of the road; I was completely distracted by her beauty. The trees re-appeared, though, and then it was almost like a conversation. She'd peek over the trees, and I'd arch over my steering wheel to greet her and hopefully catch her gaze. 
The clouds were moving past her in hauntingly beautiful shapes and, as luck would have it, the trees were no longer visible, but neither was she. A huge, dark engulfing cloud covered her, but I could still see her luminous glow beneath. I waited patiently for her to re-emerge. 
It was a long drive, but I felt like she was trying to tell me something, so I worried over my exit, thinking that my new perspective might hide her. She was back out now, almost blinding me after searching so long beneath the daunting cloud. I exited, and she was in full splendor to the left of me. I kept one eye on her and one on the road, completely entranced. I wanted her light to fill me from within, but I was content to just watch her as I drove. 
The trees covered her now and then, but I still saw her, clear as day. She lit up the sky in a way that gave me more hope than any sunrise. I felt like I knew her, and she definitely knew me. 
When I got home, I pulled into my covered parking spot slowly, lamenting our inevitable separation. I was quite taken with her at this point, and I was even tempted to grab a blanket and lay beneath her for the remainder of the night. I probably would have, had it not been a Sunday night.
Only then did I heard her words:

"Don't forget me, for I am yours."

The next morning, I awoke easily. I did not struggle to rise, even in the pitch black of early morning. I got ready for work; it was Monday, after all. After two cups of coffee, I departed for my drive. 
The sky was still bright and looking on, I realized she was still there. I leave for work before dawn, but there she was, big and beautiful, illuminating the sky. My heart hammered in my chest.
As I drove through morning traffic, the sun began to rise, and still she remained. He was tentative at first, barely peeking above the skyline, a warm amber glow emitting from his arms. The light grew stronger and stronger as he rose higher in the sky, but still she continued to shine. She looked more opalescent now, which only enhanced her beauty.
They eventually met at equal heights in the sky. Only then did I consider you, and what you might mean to me.
I've talked to so many people about you. I've prayed to God again and again to bring you back into my life. I've wished at wells, carried stones, loved and lost, and found myself again. Honestly, I almost forgot that you were gone.
I've always been in deep touch with nature and its many wonders, but never have I ever danced with the moon. Never have I seen the sun share the sky so graciously with her.
And never have I once considered that maybe - just maybe - you miss me, too.
Thank you for the way you used to love me.
Thank you for the dance.


"I'll be looking at the moon,
but I'll be seeing you."

Comments

Popular Posts